8/26/12

The 19th Wife by David Ebershoff

★★★

Genre: Historical Fiction
Subject: Mormons, pologamy,
Setting: Utah
Main Characters: Ann Eliza Young, Brigham Young, Joseph Smith
Series: no
Dates Read: July 28 - August 25
Number of pages: 514
Off the Shelf (pre-2012)? Source?: yes, audio stockpile
Category for 12 in 12 challenge: Geography Class

I don’t know exactly what to say about this book. There are more than enough reviews telling you the plot of the book but I think I need to say something before I express my impressions of the story.

The book is actually two stories - one about the origins of the Mormons in Utah and the second a murder mystery in the current day. I think I would have liked it better if instead of trying to interweave the two tales, each had been separate. I often found it confusing going back and forth and so I feel like I lost continuity.

The material about the founding of the Church of the Latter Day Saints was enlightening and noticibly well-researched.

No comments: