3/28/12

Agony of the Leaves by Laura Childs

Challenge Book #48/49/26
★★★
Genre: Cozy Mystery
Setting: Charleston, SC
Main Characters: Theodosia Browning, Drayton
Connelley, Hayley, Detective Tidell, Delaine Dish,
Parker Scully
Series: yes, #13 Tea Shoppe Mysteries
Dates Read: March 19 - March 21
Number of pages: 314
Off the Shelf (pre-2012)? Source?: author, for review
Category for 12 in 12 challenge: Home Ec, Extra Curricular

The Tea Shoppe Mysteries by Laura Childs is one of
my favorite series, so when I received it in the mail
from the author I was excited to read it, but I
wanted to have the right amount time to savor it.
So it was at the top of the pile when I headed off to
my Florida vacation. It barely made it to Florida
before I was finished having entertained me in the
airport and on the plane.

Theodosia Browning and her friends at the Indigo
Tea Shop are front and center trying to solve the
murder of Theo's former boyfriend Parker Scully.
The same background characters allow the reader to
snuggle in and concentrate on the villains du jour
and solve the murder.

SPOILER
Here in lies my problem with this installment. The
mystery lacked a gel that would hold it together.
The murderer isn't even introduced until well into
the book and the clues just weren't there for the
reader to solve the mystery along with the characters.
A disappointment - yes. Bad book - definitely not for
those that love the series. I hope that the future books
are back on track because, no matter what I enjoyed
it and that's all that's necessary IMHO.

No comments: