4/17/10

The Three Musketeers by Alexandre Dumas


Read: Feb 17 - Apr 17
Format: Hardback, 628 pages
Source: Owned
Setting: France, England
Category: Surprise - Books I find and want to read /group reads
Challenges: 101020, 75 Book, Endless Europe, BOSC, Chunkster
Stars: 3½


This is a well-known story so I won't bore you with rehashing the tale. I have been trying in the last few years to read Classics that I have on my shelf and never cracked open. This was one that I chose for this year and several other readers joined me in a group read.

I have to admit that I thought I knew the story because I had seen the movies (both versions) and I thought they probably didn't range too far from the book but I was wrong. I found as I was reading this over two months that it took me to places that I hadn't seen in either movie and character depths that were unexplored came to life. I'm not someone that normally enjoys the Classics, but this was an exception.

2 comments:

Alyce said...

It's great to see another blogger who enjoyed The Three Musketeers. This really is a fun classic! I know it took me a few months to read it too, but I thought it was worth it.

DCMetroreader said...

I'm impressed that you read this classic -- congrats!