6/1/09

MUSING MONDAYS sticking with it

The question for this Monday is in two parts:

How much time (or how many pages) do you give a book that you aren't really enjoying before you'll set it aside? Usually, I will give a book between 75 and 100 pages that probably equates to about 5-6 chapters. If by that time I have not been significantly engaged by the writing, I will normally move on. There are too many good books out there to waste time on ones you don't enjoy.

If you're reading it for a book group discussion, or for review, will you give it more of a chance then, say, a book you're reading for your own interest? Why, or why not? I have in the past started to read abook for a book group discussion and found that aI really didn't like the book. I apologized to the group members and left the group. If I havea book that I am supposed to review, I will read it, but usually I will only skim through to the end after I have decided that it is not my type of book.

1 comment:

Mari - Escape In A Book said...

I read about 80-100 pages before I give up. I have only given up once but I have to start practicing this rule more often. When I force myself to stick with a book I often end up losing my passion for reading for a little while.