12/31/15

A King's Ransom by Sharon Kay Penman



776 pages on Nook

I had never read much about the reign the Richard the Lionheart so I was really looking forward to this book after reading about his experiences in the Crusades from the previous book.  However, I was very bothered by the extreme viciousness in the writing regarding the torture of a 13 year old boy.  I had to put the book aside for several months before I could return to the narrative, skipping his actual capture by the agents of the Duke of Austria.  

The story of his captivity and negotiations regarding his release for ransom were enlightening as to the politics of that era.

Did I like it? Yes, but it really wasn't necessary to be that graphic regarding the torture for information. It lost a half star because of that.

No comments: