4/7/12

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins


★★★★½

Genre: Fantasy
Subject: government control, manipulation
Setting: Panem
Main Characters: Katniss Everdeen, Peeta Mellark, Gale Hawthorne, Cinna, Haymitch Abernathy
Series: yes, #1 Hunger Games
Dates Read: April 5 - April 6
Number of pages: 485
Off the Shelf (pre-2012)? Source?: yes, Audio stockpile
Category for 12 in 12 challenge: Speech class


There have been so many reviews telling the plot/story of the Hunger Games, I'll forego that and just give my impressions.

I was reluctant to read this book because there seem to be so much hype that I couldn't believe that it could live up to it. So when I "read" this book I was extremely surprised. The story is told in the first person character of Katniss Everdeen. I listened to an audio version narrated by Carolyn McCormick and felt that I was really experiencing the events through her eyes. I felt the horror of hearing her little sister's name called, the disgust at the behavior of Haymitch Abernathy, but most of all I really felt her aloneness when she was fighting for her life.

The writing was superb, the characters well-defined, story engaging - all in all, a truly excellent book, IMO. Glad I've got the next one already in my hot little hands because I loved this one!

No comments: