3/22/11

Outlander by Diana Gabaldon

Read: March 1 - March 21
Format: Audio 28 discs - 32 hrs equivalent and Nook book 784 pages
Source: audio via library and Nook from B&N
Subject: time travel, Scottish ancestry, torture
Challenges: 11 in 11, 75 Book, Endless Europe, BOYS, AUDIO, SYLL
Category: Blind dates: Will I like them? - New series / new authors
Genre: Romance, Fantasy, Historical Fiction
Stars: ★★★★

Clare Randall is on vacation with her husband Frank who is researching his ancestors in Scotland. While there magically Clare is transported back in time and her adventure begins. She is accepted as a healer and to protect her from investigation of her political leanings, is "forced" into a marriage with a Scottish Laird. The story evolves including the love developed between the two main characters.

I truly enjoyed the story and was surprised that the length didn't bother me because of the quality of the writing and character development. I usually don't go in for time travel and such but this was so cleverly woven into the tale that I didn't mind it at all. I was very much surprised when I realized that the story continues in another book. I'm not sure that I am ready for another chunkster immediately, but will definitely follow-up on this tale.

No comments: