9/23/10

Bookin' through Thursday

Here's this week's Booking Through Thursday question hosted by Shelf Life:
What are you reading right now? What made you choose it? Are you enjoying it? Would you recommend it? (And, by all means, discuss everything, if you’re reading more than one thing!)
I am currently concentrating on two books...
The first is titled The Pemberley Chronicles by Rebecca Ann Collins and is a sequel to Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice. Last year I came across a book by Elizabeth Aston which told the story of the daughters of Elizabeth Bennet and Mr. Darcy from Pride & Prejudice (P&P). Since I truly loved the original characters I wondered if there were more books that told of Elizabeth and Darcy and started hunting. Little did I know that I was going to be overwhelmed with the number of books that take these two beloved characters through some very different adventures. I stopped searching when I had found ten authors writing sequels. I decided that I would read several of the different series to see how they treated the after-Austen time. So far it's been a lot of fun and since this is the 1st book in Collins' series (she has 10!) I won't be running out of P&P sequels for quite some time.
The second book is an Inter-library loan that I just picked up titled Confederate Ordeal: The Southern Homefront. I have been "studying" the Civil War era this year with books that relate not the battles but the impact of the War on the people of the time. I've also read several great books about Lincoln to go along with the histories of the period. We normally read so much about this battle and that battle but I had never concentrated on the background of what brought the war about and how it affected the people - North and South - so this year I set about to remedy this oversight and have read some great books. This one is rather small, only 136 pages with a number of vintage photographs throughout. I'm excited to see what it reveals.
What are you reading right now? Why did you choose it?

No comments: