7/11/10

A Separate Country by Richard Hicks

Read: May 31 - July 10
Format: Audio 13 CDs and hardback 432 pages
Source: Public Library/Prize for HRBG reading
Subject: post Civil War/ General John Bell Hood
Category: Surprise - Books I find and want to read /group reads
Genre: Historical Fiction
Challenges: 101020, 75 Book, Audiobook, SYLL,
Stars: 1½


General John Bell Hood of the Confederate States of America would seem to have been a unique individual if the premise of this work of historical fiction is true. However, it was difficult to follow being written using different POVs as well as different time periods.

We are told of a Confederate officer who suffered several horrible injuries, losing an arm and a leg in the war, who married Anna Marie and fathered 11 children. We hear about her youth and how she met and befriended Michèl and Rentra and Pascal.

I've had this book for a over a year and resolved that I was going to read it this year. If not for that resolution and the fact that I was part of a group read at my suggestion, I don't think that I would have continued to the end. I tried reading the hardback. It was too confusing, I got an audio version and I was able to get through it easier with the different readers helping to keep things straight.

I found this story very disjointed, only because I had read Widow of the South did I understand the references to Franklin and therefore I can only give it 1½ stars.

No comments: