5/27/10

Her Fearful Symmetry by Audrey Niffenegger


Read: May 10 - May 27
Format: Audio 12 CDs equivalent of 637 pages
Source: Public Library
Setting: London, England
Category: Surprise - Books I find and want to read /group reads
Challenges: 101020, 75 Book, Chunkster, Audio, SYLL
Stars: 2½


In the strange world of this story, twin sisters Elspeth and Edwina are estranged at the time of Elspeth's death. But Elspeth has ways of getting back at her sister when she leaves her entire estate including her London flat to Edwina's twin daughters Julia and Valentina Poole with the stipulation that they must live in the flat for one year before selling it and that their parents cannot enter.

When they move in, we meet some other strange individuals - Martin with severe, shall I say extreme OCD, Elspeth's lover who is working on a thesis for the history of a cemetery directly beside the apartment building, and the twins themselves , who seem to be drifting aimlessly through life. Just as the reader is adjusting to all these unusual characters, Elspeth herself comes back as a ghost and wreaks havoc.

The farther I got into this book, the less I liked it and that was a big disappointment to me because I really loved The Time Traveler's Wife. The storyline was just a little too freaky for me and I would have abandoned it 2/3 in if I wasn't part of a group read. It may have been well-written, I don't know, because I had a hard time staying with it.

No comments: