12/23/09

Christmas Sucks: What to Do When Fruitcake, Family, and Finding the Perfect Gift Make You Miserable by Joanne Kimes


Read: Dec 21 - Dec 22
Source: Public Library
Category: Overflow - New Writer (Christmas Challenge)
Pages: 160


First, let me say that Christmas is my favorite, absolutely favorite, time of the year. I start preparing for Christmas in June and July so that I can setup my Christmas display and have it ready by Thanksgiving. It doesn't come down until February at the earliest. That said, why would I read a book with this title? I thought it might be interesting to see how the other half look at this wonderful occasion and so I started, prepared to not like it at all.

Okay, so here is the scoop, I really enjoyed this book. I laughed so hard at parts that tears streamed down my face, and my husband ( the original Scrooge), has a look on his face, like - okay she's really lost it now.

The writer has this wonderful style for sarcasm and her descriptions are just to die for! She addresses all the issues surrounding the holiday preparations - shopping, Santa Claus, parties, gift giving, decorating, traveling, family gatherings - and even gives you tips on how to avoid the stress in all these areas.

Here are just a few of the humorous words from Joanne Kimes on a few subjects surrounding the holidays.
Shopping " Black Friday is a modern day version of a Roman Gladiator match"
Parking at the mall - "vultures circling over a dying zebra"
purchasing a gift the 3rd week in December - "If you are hoping to get something monogrammed, get out your Sharpie."
Gift Giving - "Create a nice gift. This year I am giving out infused Vodka. It's easy to make, looks great in a pretty bottle, and who couldn't use a stiff shot this time of year?"
Hosting a Party - "Ask a close friend to come early to have an extra set of hands around because your husband is still busy SITTING ON HIS ASS."

I could go on and on, but then I would just be re-writing the book here. If you need a good laugh to make you believe that it is all worthwhile, this is the book to get.

1 comment:

Kaye said...

ha ha I loved the sharpie monogram comment.
I also want to wish you and yours a Merry Christmas and a happy New Year.